Thursday, September 10, 2009

Preview: The Norths

Let's start in the more boring of the Northern Divisions, shall we? - The AFC North:

As usual, I see things a bit different than most here, but essentially, I think the only really good team here is Pittsburgh (and I don't even love them that much).

1. Pittsburgh Steelers: 10-6
I think the offense will be pretty good as Roethlisberger should bounce with some more steady line play and Rashard Mendenhall I think will uproot fast Willie Parker as the primary back at some point, which will help. They still have a lot of firepower on defense and while I think it may regress a touch from last year, this team still appears to be a 10 or 11 win team that should win a pretty weak division.

2. Cleveland Browns: 8-8
This probably surprises some people and I admit it may be a bit of a strange pick. Say what you want about Mangini, but the Jets were not smart to fire him (though the Ryan signing I did like). He had that Jets team routinely outperforming expectations and Mangenius may be able to pull a similar act off with this Cleveland team. They have finally announced Brady Quinn as their starting quarterback and I think that is the right move. Quinn, as much as I don't like him, should be a pretty good NFL QB. I would expect to see a rejuvenated Braylon Edwards who has a ton to prove. On top of that, they are finally ready to give up on Jamal Lewis and go to James Davis and/or Jerome Harrison which will result in a huge boost in the ground game. Here is an offensive line with a stud Left Tackle in Joe Thomas. A very good LG in Eric Steinbach. A stud rookie center in Alex Mack and some big guys in free agents Pork Chop Womack and John St. Clair battling to start on the right side, this line has the potential to be very good which is the very recipe for a breakout season.

3. Ravens 6-10
Here is a team that is tough to figure. Part of me says they will win this division. Part of me says to put them below the Bengals. I'm just not sure. I think Ray Rice could emerge and the offensive line has some potential. I really don't see Joe Flacco taking a huge step forward and think the offense is likely to marginally improve at best. The problem then becomes an aging defense which just lost some of its best players. This defense has been too dominant for too long to completely fall apart, but look at the Bears last year for proof that a few injuries can ravish even a defense which has been consistent year-in and year-out. I fear that is the more likely scenerio this year and the Ravens may be in a lot of trouble.

4. Bengals 5-11
Everyone's actual favorite to break out in this division this year is the Cincy Ocho Cinco's. By the way, did anyone catch Ocho vs Skip Bayless on 1st and 10 the other day? Was pretty terrible as all they did was whine at each other. Shocking that Ocho thinks he's back, Carson is back and the Bengals will win 12 games. Meanwhile, the team did have an improved defense last year, but it was still nothing more than average and is likely to get worse this year..so even if the offense bounces back a bit, it is unlikely that the team will make much of a move forward. Wouldn't surprise me if they return to form of a few years ago when the offense was great and the defense was terrible. Also wouldn't shock me if both units are terrible.


NFC North
Let's start out with what we know:
4. Detroit Lions: 3-13. This team should win more games than last year simply by dealing with a little better luck. That said, Stafford is garbage and this team is garbage. Finally they may have some better coaching and management and perhaps in a few years the Detroit Lions will finally be respectable. But it isn't going to happen this year. You won't be seeing a Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco story in Detroit with Matthew Stafford, I can promise you that.

3. Green Bay 7-9. Everyone is in absolute love with this team and I can see why to a degree. Aaron Rodgers is a good young quarterback. Still, what is so appealing about this team? They have some decent parts on defense, but also some holes and aging players. They have a good quarterback and a good receiver in Greg Jennings. But this isn't an offense which has a plethora of weapons that can't be shut down. Certainly any of these top 3 teams are capable of winning this division, but I think Green Bay is actually the least likely.

2. Minnesota Vikings 10-6. I think they get a wildcard. Why? Easy, no more Tavaris Jackson. The guy couldn't even complete passes at the D-1AA division and somehow the Vikings thought he was the truth. They started him for so long it actually was a cross between bizarre and comical, pathetic and entertaining, absurd and cruel punishment to the fanbase. Interesting thing here is the suspensions to the DT's. They could hurt a team which is based around defensive line play as much as any non-Giants team in the league. Purple Jesus should be in for a monster season and I think this team is wild card bound.

1. Chicago Bears 12-4. My personal pick for the team to beat in the NFC. People are underrating what an incredible leap it is up from the NFL's biggest douchebag - Kyle Orton to another more talented, whinier, douchebag Jay Cutler. Sure he will make poor decisions at times and sometimes he battles fits of inaccuracy, but he makes this offense so much more explosive and the points scored column should tick up at a much higher rate this year. I already documented the injuries suffered to the defense last year...and while I hate to take anything away from the pre-season, from what I saw this defense is ready to GO. I think we see a big return from the Bears in '09 and I find this team as a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

1 comment:

  1. Horse shit, Green Bay's defense will be the surprise of the year.

    ReplyDelete