Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I'm forever yours....faithfully

I am still not ready to touch on the Bills game from this Monday night. I expect maybe after a couple more days I will be able to express what happened in words. One thing is for sure though. Prime time games are not allowed for the Bills anymore...Dallas, Cleveland, and now New England...

No matter what they do, just like Journey sang many years ago, I will forever be a Buffalo Bills fan, Faithfully. Speaking of Journey, and classic rock ballads, I stayed up late last night and caught an infomercial that kept me up past midnight. Time Life's collection of 70's and 80's Rock Ballads, hosted by the front man of REO SpeedWagon, Kevin Cronin. Cronin, age 57 looks borderline 75, but is still ever enthusiastic about Classic Rock. Anyways, I wad extremely tired after a late Monday night of watching my team get devastated, and I just couldn't get any sleep because this infomercial was just pumping out hit after hit. I almost pulled the trigger and bought the $120 dollar 8 CD Set I was so fired up. Since I can't really find it in me to talk about sports right now, I thought I would give you a run down of my top 25 songs on the collection.

25. Chicago - Look away

24. Toto - Rosanna:
An underrated tune by Toto, as most think of blessing the rains down in Africa when they come to mind. Don't sleep on Rosanna.

23. Foreigner: I want to know what love is:
And I want you to shoooow me.

22. Eric Carmen All By Myself
Dont sleep on Carmen. We will hear from him again.

21. REO Speedwagon: Time for me to Fly
First of 4 songs of REO you will see on this countdown. REO, underrated in my opinion, really does pump out hits. I dare you to hear an REO song on the radio and turn the station. Does not happen. I'll take time to mention that there are some unbelievable songs left off this countdown and the CD. These are not my 25 songs off all time, just the 25 on the CD.

20. Eye of the Tiger: Survivor
A classic in its own right, and probably deserves to have a higher ranking on this list, but not sure it really fits with the vibe of the CDs. Really not a power ballad. Obviously need to make a Rocky reference here. Just overall not that impressed, and the song has been overplayed in my opinion. After all my bashing, it still hits #20. The list is getting increasingly harder to compile. The classics are about to start rolling.

19. Eric Carmen: Hungry Eyes:
This song was featured in the classic movie Dirty Dancing and the success of the movie catapulted this song, and Carmen into stardom. Peaking at #4 on the billboard charts, this is the forgotten song from DD (Dirty Dancing) that gets overshadowed by the hit song "(I've had) The time of my life." Rest in Peace Patrick Swayze. Your dancing moved a generation of young girls...and me.

18. Sara: Starship

17. Blue Oyster Cult: (Don't Fear)the Reaper
The song is good no doubt, but its ultimate fame for me and most had to be the Will Ferrell Need more Cowbell skit SNL. Not really sure the song fits in with the rest on the list, but good none the less.

16. Pat Benetar: Love is a Battlefield
Ultimate female power song.

15. REO Speedwagon: Keep on loving you
Cuz its the only thing I wannnaa doooo.... REO song #2. Must help to have 15 songs on the CD since the front man endorses it for Time Life.

14: Journey: Open Arms
Fairly disappointed with the lack of Journey tracks across the CD's. Open Arms is solid no doubt, not quite going to crack my top ten though.

13: Steve Perry: Oh Sherrie.
Just a good song.

12: Kiss: Beth
Just like Journey, I would have liked a lot more Kiss on here, though I guess there stuff is too hard for the ballads on here surprisingly.

11: Extreme: More than Words
Just misses out on a top ten spot. This song was ruined by the fact it was redone by Westlife many years later. Though actually, Westlife was legit. More than woooooords, is all you have to do to make it realllll, then you wouldn't have to say, that you love me....Cuz I already knoooow!

Okay folks here come the big dogs!!!

10: Ms Mister: Broken Wings
Kinda cheesy, and reminds me of a bad 80's movie, but at the same time it does give a good representation of music at the time. Not a huge fan and surprised I have it ranked this high to be honest.

9: MeatLoaf: I would do anything for Love
We are getting into some heavy classics here. MeatLoaf shocks the world with this Power Ballad cementing his place in music history. And now we can all think and discuss, what exactly would Meatloaf not do. You have seen this slob, he is doing everything an anything for love, no questions asked.

8. Alannah Myles: Black Velvet
With a twang of country this surprises coming in at number 8 as it really isn't cut from the same mold as the others on this list. I think this paved the way for mainstream country. Its also a personal favorite due to the alternative lyrics I sang with a buddy in College that are not clean enough for this site.

7. REO Speedwagon: I can't fight this feeling
Song 3 of 4 for REO. Who knew I liked them so much?

6. Boston: More than Feeling
This song is fantastic. When the guitar rift hits, and you close your eyes, there is no doubt on my mind you are taken to a better place.

5. Bonnie Tyler: Total Eclipse of the Heart
Once upon a time I loved this song, and man is it oh so good. Nothing you can say will ever make me hate this song....(Sung to the tune)

4. REO Speedwagon: Take it on the Run
My personal favorite of the REO songs on the list.

3. Piano Man: Billy Joel
Some may say the 3 spot does this song injustice, and granted, it probably does deserve to be #1 on the list. But I am gonna throw some shockers out at you. This no doubt is one of the greatest songs off all time, any genre.

2. Poison: Every Rose has its thorn.
I may take some heat for this one, but bring it on. This is a great power ballad and I dare you to not sing along.

Drum roll Please......You Number one song.....

1. Night Ranger: Sister Christian
ooooo yeahhhhh your Motorin!!! What a song. The drum solo in this is excellent. Lyrics on point, Slow start, huge finish (check). There is not doubt on my mind when I saw this list that this song was going straight to the top.

Your top 25

1 comment:

  1. All legit tunes...Without question is Sister Christian number one, memories

    ReplyDelete