Friday, September 11, 2009

NFC East Preview

I'll preface for the few who don't know that I am a Giants fan.

I honestly have no clue who is going to win this ultra-competitive division. I think each team is actually worse than last year and it is no longer really a "super-division" but still had four very solid football teams, all capable of competing in the NFC.

1. Washington Redskins 10-6: Not much more than a gut feel. Just think the team is due. This pick probably hinges a bit on Malcolm Kelly becoming a legitimate #2 WR, which I'm not sure is a great bet. I'm not a huge fan of him or Devin Thomas necessarily but they desperately need to find someone to take some of the attention away from Santana Moss and to give Jason Campbell another option. I feel like a bit of a jackass taking a Campbell-led team to win this division, but it is what it is. The team actually looked very tough before LT Chris Samuels went down and getting healthy on the O-Line could be enough. Obviously, I love the addition of Albert Haynesworth to the defense and I think it could really spark this unit into dominance. Throw in the addition of Brian Orakpo to the defense and this could be a very good unit. Again, it is very hard to project this division, I just think Washington is due for a little luck and if they stay healthy on the offensive line will end up being the most solid team in the East.

2. New York Giants 9-7: I looked at the schedule with my friend the other night and we really couldn't find more than 10 wins, and the 10 seemed a stretch. I have an eerie feeling that this thing might completely crumble if the team suffers any injuries on the offensive line as the depth there has gone downhill and a lack of skill at WR could turn this offense into a true disaster if the running game isn't as dominant as it has been the past couple years. That said, the starting offensive line is one of the best units in the league and the defense on paper looks absolutely dominant. In all honesty, the Giants should be considered the team to beat in this division and even if the offense struggles I think the defense should carry them to a winning season. The upside is if the line stays healthy and the receivers emerge, this could actually be the best Giants team in recent memory due to an absolutely stacked, DEEEEEEP, defensive line..some more skill than usual at linebacker and a developing secondary with all-underrated stud corner Corey Webster and a possible multiple all-pro safety in Kenny Philips.

3. Dallas Cowboys 8-8: Another tough team to figure. I think they may come out hot out the gates, but another team with a lack of depth on the offensive line, it is hard to project them to win the division. Can Demarcus Ware really put in another season like last? Even with that, I felt the defense was very susceptible to good offenses. For the past few years now the Cowgirls have really been the team that scared me least in the division. Their secondary has just been completely vulnerable and if you block them at all huge holes open up. That said, the offense has the potential to be very strong on the ground with Barber, Jones and Choice and Romo still has Witten to throw to. I think Jones can actually take the place of TO a bit as a playmaker out of the backfield in the passing game. The defense should be solid enough so this team will probably go as far as their receivers and secondary can take them.

4. Eagles 7-9: Desean Jackson is a nice receiver, but he is fragile and the Eagles refuse to ever address the need for more weapons in the passing game. I think it was brilliant to not use Brian Westbrook in the pre-season, but you have to wonder what type of sign that was to his actual health. They bring in Mike Vick which sounds like a good idea, but clearly is just setting up a possible nightmare media/fan situation in a city that loves controversy. The defense has aged and you have to question if a re-vamped offensive line won't hurt the offense. Those who know me well, have given me the distasteful identity of a closet-Eagles fan over the past couple years as I have regarded them as nothing other than a top-5 team both years, despite their record. I admit it, the Eagles scare me like the Angels scare the Yankees. Brian Westbrook has been the biggest matchup nightmare for the Giants in all of football over the past five years...and a fast, talented defense, along with Westbrook and McNabb just spells danger. That said, I think the Eagles might be close to blowing the whole thing up and starting over. Westbrook is getting old, the line had to be re-vamped, the defense has lost many of its coaches, some key players and see itself aging. I won't be shocked if the Eagles win the division, but I also won't be surprised if they go 5-11. Tread lightly when betting them early season in my opinion.

So that does it for my portion of the NFL season previews. Happy Friday as Belmont re-opens and we have a full slate of college football Saturday before the first Sunday of the NFL Season. With an exciting baseball stretch run heating up, it doesn't get much better than this in the world of sports. I think the Millman is still going to churn out an AFC East preview this afternoon if he gets some time at work. I also may do a feature where I pick the straight-up winners in each game if I get a chance. Expect some betting stories/advice to start up next week, possibly along with some fantasy football analysis.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Cowgirls shot Mullen. This is a tough decision. I agree the division is competitive, but as a whole I do think everyone takes a step back. Im gonna have to go Giants, Dallas, Washington, and Philly for my order.

    Felix Jones could be the key for us. Dont sleep on Martellus Bennett either. They could be running a very good 2 TE set alot this year. Both TE's are very good blockers as well and that set could be deadly with those 2 and Barber/Jones/Choice in the backfield. Im not too high on our WR's, but there is speed potential. Our secondary has been brutal, but the additon of Sensabaugh should stabalize us a little.

    The big ? mark is our O Line. Any injury at all kills us as the backups are not good. Everyone knows that an injury is bound to happen on the line too. So this could be the downfall.

    Overall all the games will be competitve this year. Lets beat up on the AFC West, and get 3 teams in to the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly no order or records would shock me in this division. Definitely think it has gotten a touch weaker, but I do think we will beat up on the AFC West for the most part.

    Do like Bennett and the 2-TE set should open up a lot of options for Dallas. Rare to have such athletes at TE, would allow them to run the ball effectively without losing much in the passing game. I also wonder if Felix is flexible enough to be split out wide maybe leaving Barber in the backfield, with the two TE set. That would allow for Dallas to get all of their best weapons on the field at once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree with ur analysis if u completely flipped it upside down. In fact let me put this analysis in terms you may understand. $2 tri box, Eagles, Giants, Boys. Could come in in any order.

    ReplyDelete