Friday, August 14, 2009

Philly, You Lucky Dogs


So the Eagles won the Vick sweepstake, signing him to a 2-year deal to do, well...I don't think anyone knows what they plan to do with him. My guess would be that they saw it as a sound financial decision from a value perspective since the first year is just 1.6 M and the second year is an option (I assume team option) of 5.2 M. The NFL isn't trade happy, but if someone loses their quarterback and Vick looks healthy you never know. I would have to guess we will see some Wildcat formations in Philly at least. Andy Reid should show some sense of humor and call it "The Rottweiler" or something.

If you didn't already see the Prince Fielder home run from last night, that went off the upper portion of the scoreboard, do yourself a favor and find it. It's probably on mlb.com , the only video on youtube I could find was video from someone's camera at the game and you couldn't even really see the ball. Just an incredible blast though, and I don't think he even tried to fight a single Padre last night.

Troy Tulowitzki is killing it. He seems to homer every night. I do hate Colorado for the reason that guys like Clint Barmes crush, but Tulo has really had a huge season.

CC had a 10 strikeout performance at Seattle last night and it looks like he might be ready to go down the stretch yet again this year.

3 comments:

  1. As an NFC East follower Mullen, what do you think Vick does to the division. I remember him playing against the Cowboys back with the Falcons, and I never liked his QB skills at all. Does he factor in to the race this year and how much does he factor in you think. I know the Eagles dont play Dallas within those first 6 weeks that he is suspended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very tough to say. I have no reason to believe he'll be an effective wideout. Never liked him as a QB either. He was always a winner...I usually try to stay away from that term especially in team sports but Va Tech he turned into a Nat'l Title contender..and more importantly he got some of those Atlanta teams with very little outside talent to win games. He also never had much at WR, Brian Finneran or whatever isn't exactly getting it done, and he made Alge Crumpler pretty useful.

    That said I don't think he's accurate enough to be that useful at QB, especially when the team employing him also has Donovan McNabb. I would guess he'll be used as a gimmick..some wildcat here, decoy at WR there, maybe catch some screens and run a couple trick plays. I'd say it should have a minimal effect on the race and it wouldn't surprise me if Philly is just looking to trade him to a team that loses their QB for some draft picks.

    Anyone's guess though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how this will play out though. Mcnabb came out and said he isn't worried (and he really shouldn't be) and that this will help the team. The reality is Philly (fans and media) will never accept Donovan for the unreal talent he is, and with the pressures of being a SuperBowl team on his shoulders, any signs of trouble this year and Vick grumblings will start. People always want to know if the grass is greener and see the unknown...

    I don't like the move from Phillys perspective, you don't bring in a guy with this much drama and hype into a SuperBowl Clubhouse

    ReplyDelete