Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Not This Year For Tiger

The image every golf fan hopes to witness Sunday <------ (unless you're like me and root for Tiger to miss the cut every event)


Tiger will not win the US Open this year. I know the course sets up for him and he is playing great golf, I just really don't think he will get it done. Call it a gut feel, I guess.

Hard to believe that it was 7 years ago when the US Open was brought to a public golf course for the first time ever, and Bethpage Black was put on the map. The legendary public golf course located on New York's Long Island, has five courses, color-coded to level of difficulty with Black obviously being the toughest. A great idea, the golfing world got what they wanted as the gallery was incredibly vibrant, cheering on Phil Mickelson as if it was his home course as he gave Tiger all he could handle, but ended up in second, three shots behind Tiger. It was one of the better golf tournaments I can remember watching, between the difficulty of the course, the public aspect and the fans cheering on the underdog, it gave golf the excitement of Happy Gilmore teeing off, while maintaining the class and appreciation of the sport found in The Legend of Bagger Vance. Needless to say, I'm excited about this weekends tournament.

One thing we have heard a lot about and will continue to hear is how Mickelson will be able to maintain his necessary focus with people wishing his wife well (she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and he has missed a lot of time and will continue to, by the way expect to see a lot of pink on your tv screens). I really don't agree with this analysis. People will be wishing her well, surely, but that doesn't mean it has to affect him while his taking his shot. The gallery will quiet and he'll focus in...it's not as if the golf fans will be chanting "BREAST lump" in the middle of his backswing.

The Contenders:
Tiger Woods - Obviously the heavy favorite here, Tiger isn't even 2:1 to win this...that is simply astonishing. The length of the course, the famed first-ever 300 yard par-3 we saw in 2002, will be accompanied by I believe four 500 yard par-4's, obviously sets up well for Tiger...there really isn't much reason to think he won't win this thing I guess, but I promise - The Tiger Woods Show that is any event he's involved in will be talking about how he doesn't get it done this year. Bottom line, Tiger is pewch. I can't stand him and his stupid comments, his love of fishing, his ridiculous house, his wife. He's boring. The coverage of his every move is also boring and exhausting, and it surprises me how many people love the man. He's pewch people:



Phil Mickelson - Will be the far and away fan favorite and is going to win this thing, riding an emotional wave and playing inspired golf. If Lefty is swinging the big stick well not even Tiger can keep up.

Geoff Ogilvy - My boy. Think his game gives him the best shot of anyone not named Phil or Tiger to win this thing.

Paul Casey - Shot well in this tournament last year and is playing the best golf of his career with a pair of wins over in Europe this year as well as his first on the PGA Tour, Casey has propelled all the way up to #3 in the world. Should be in the mix.

Sergio Garcia - Unfortunately, I don't think anyone believes he can truly win this thing. That said, I'll be rooting for him to do well, he's playing good golf but this course may end up being a nightmare for him.

Jim Furyk - Also have to consider him...while the distance of the course hurts him, he can make up for some of that with his incredible mid-range game, cutting some strokes in areas where others will get hurt. Ultimately though the course is just too long for him, can't see him winning.

Henrik Stenson - Great Euro golfer who I believe was my most wagered on golfer when I used to bet golf. Another Euro whose game doesn't set up for the course I feel. Might hang around but ultimately shouldn't contend.

Steve Stricker - Playing very well and has contended at the Open before, I'd give him a puncher's chance here.

David Toms and Padraig Harrington - Couple guys would not surprise me at all if in contention come Sunday.

Rocko Mediate - Misses Cut.

Heath Slocum - Apparently old Heathcliff, former absolute scrub MLB reliever and somehow one-time all-star, has reinvented himself as a professional golfer.

9 comments:

  1. Vijay Singh is gonna do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiger will win it...Happy Gilmore and The Legend of Bagger Vance two great movies i must say

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vijay was supposed to be on my list, he's actually playing good golf and has a chance surprisingly enough. Also was reminded of McIlroy by my buddy, I'm sure tuzz would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. McIlroy has the tools but hes still a kid. I am in love with his game and hes got the mind to win with it. It would be a huge step in the right direction for his career to make a little noise here. Pretty sure he does have the benefit of teeing off fresh tomorrow as he didn't get out on the course today. Already has a top 10 this year. This kid is for real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should be noted that that top 10 was a victory at Dubai in April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mulldog...how can you not like Tiger, you arent one of those guys who roots against greatness are you? I am sure you remember watching Jordan as a little kid, did you root against him beause he always won, neveer said anything insightful and was pretty boring his entire playing career? I doubt it. You watched and rooted everytime he was on the floor, except maybe against your team. Its the same with Tiger, how many golf tourneys do you watch that he is not in and its jsut Phil, I doubt very many. Come one man the guy is one for the ages like Jordan, and I dont you think Jordan is Pewch. You dont have to root for the guy but you gotta appreciate his game and what he has done for the game of golf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha...I'm probably the biggest Jordan hater you will run into. I have called him out on this blog before..I believe I cursed him out and I'd be shocked if I didn't call him pewch. That said, MJ was not nearly as boring as Tiger. He was a fierce competitor, addicted to gambling, he starred in Space Jam and there are many stories about him banging multiple less-than-average-looking middle-aged white slores in the Chicago suburbs, which are also interesting to read. He came into the league and had a speech impediment but turned himself into a pretty charismatic player with the brilliant "Be Like Mike" advertising and such...and his image was a "cooler than cool" cigar smoking, I know I'm the man, don't try and act like you're on my level schtick...plus his game was so unique when he came into the league he really revolutionized his position, but basketball strategy in general. I'm not even going to get into the work he did for the game overseas. He's cool, Tiger comes across as a dork...a complete golf nerd who just lacks personality.

    Don't get me wrong, Tiger is obviously going to go down as the greatest golfer of all-time. I appreciate greatness, just as I can appreciate what MJ did..but I don't like or root for either. And yeah Tiger revolutionized golf in the sense where everyone started working out and golf equipment got more high-tech..but it's hard to really be as electrifying as MJ in a dunk contest, much less the playoffs as a golfer..much less one without much of a personality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mulldog, I agree with your assesment in some ways. I truly don't like to watch Tiger Woods win, but a tournament will never be a "great tournament" unless someone is going toe to toe trying to take down this guy. Two schlubs batteling on the back nine on Sunday, no matter how good they are, will never compare to someone squaring off with Tiger. I will agree though he is a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like I said, everyone wants to watch Tiger and Phil battle it out...I do too in a way...still root for him to miss the cut out of spite...I agree though, the best tournaments are always those with him involved late....it's moreso the fact that I have to watch every footstep he takes on the golf course in the first round that tends to annoy me. I'm out though, OTB and work. WWPD?

    ReplyDelete